Naval Base Kitsap (NBK) Keyport occupies 340 acres (including tidelands) adjacent to the town of Keyport in Kitsap County, Washington. It sits on a small peninsula in the central portion of Puget Sound, bordered by Liberty Bay on the east and north and Port Orchard Inlet on the southeast.
The Keyport property was acquired by the Navy in 1913 with property acquisition continuing through World War II. The property has been used as a quiet-water range for torpedo testing and for manufacturing and fabrication of torpedo and various undersea warfare weapons and systems engineering and development activities. Operations currently include engineering, fabrication, assembly, and testing of underwater weapons systems.
In October 1989, NBK Keyport was officially listed on the National Priorities List and became a Superfund site. The NBK Keyport Superfund site is separated into two Operable Units (OUs) for management of cleanup activities.
The currently active Superfund sites at NBK Keyport are:
OU 1, Area 1 - Former Landfill [Record of Decision (ROD) signed/remediation initiated - 1998]
OU 2 (ROD signed/remediation initiated - 1994), including:
o Area 2 - Van Meter Road Spill/Drum Storage Area
o Area 8 - Plating Shop Waste/Oil Spill Area
2020 NBK Final Fifth Year Review Keyport, Washington
2000 5-yr review.pdf
Second 5-yr Review.pdf
2005 Errata sheet for Second 5-yr review.pdf
Third 5-yr review.pdf
Fourth Five-Year Review - Final.pdf
Fifth 5-Year Review Questionnaire
9013-F4125_Keyport Questionnaire Type 3_10-14-19.pdf
TM_Final Keyport IC_20181022.pdf